Friday, January 9, 2009

Resolved and Resolute

I've never been one to make new year's resolutions. I know myself too well. I have a hard enough time giving something up for Lent, and that's only a few weeks. For some reason, I've decided to change this year. As it's January 9th, obviously one of my resolutions is not to give up procrastinating. I've got to hold on to a vice or two or I'll never make it.

Well, here goes nothing:

1. I'll do a better job of keeping in touch with people.

I'm so terrible about calling, emailing, etc to communicate with people I care about. I don't want to lose touch permanently with anyone I'm still in contact with. I've lost too many people in my life in permanent ways to let any more simply slip away.

2. I'm going to write something every day.

I used write almost constantly in school, sometimes when I was supposed to be doing something more productive. I haven't really spent much time writing since I finished college. I'm not sure I was ever very good, but it was something I enjoyed. Since all my crafting has become my job, I need some other sort of escape. Also, the knowledge that some of the monologues I wrote in high school for auditioning are still floating around in cyberspace, being read and presumably used is kind of inspiring. Someone actually contacted me out of the blue on Facebook asking if they were from a published play. Maybe I can come up with some sort of cohesive theme to make that play a reality.

3. I'm going to take better care of myself.

That's a pretty broad statement, but it boils down to a few specific things. I'm going to get set up with all the doctors I should be going to, not just the cardiologist. I'm going to take all my pills every day and not forget. I'm going to get up and move more. I'll walk sometimes when I don't think I can.

4. I'm going to finally change my last name.

My life for the past few years seems to have always been in flux. I need a feeling of permanence. It's time to finally fill out any and all tedious paperwork and finally legally have the name everyone already assumes I have.

I guess that's it for now. I could swear I had a few more in my head while I was thinking about this in the shower this morning. Oh well. I reserve the right to add to, subtract from, or otherwise amend this list without prior warning as necessary. Isn't chaning my mind my right as a woman? ;)

1 comment: